Sunday, April 25, 2010

Dog Secrets: The Cornstarch Experiment

For dog owners out there we all have encountered an issue with our furry friends smelling. I have the same issue with my dog a 5 month old Jack -Spitz. It's not a real bad doggie smell, it's her own distinct personal smell but it bothers me because I just don't like any smell coming from my own beloved pet. I was in such a dilemma until someone advised me to use ta...da... cornstarch!

Yes, just plain old cornstarch that we use in the kitchen! Surprised? Lolz...me too. I've changed the dog shampoo heaven knows how many times, I changed her soap too and bought different brands of deodorizer but her personal smell was still there. Until I found out that cornstarch could solve this problem. What did I do? I bathe the dog and soaped her all over and then rinse her. Then in a small container squirt an ample amount of shampoo and add 3 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 cups of water, mix it then pour it over your dog's coat and scrub thoroughly and then rinse. Then place an ample amount of conditioner (in my case I experimented with my own conditioner lol) add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch again and 2 cups of water. Pour over your dog's coat and scrub and let it sit for 5 minutes and then rinse.

The finished look? Voila! A clean sweet smelling doggie! The cornstarch really helped get rid of her personal smell and it enhanced the smell of the shampoo and conditioner. Since my dog over all has a white coat except for a light tan patch on the face, her coat became whiter and she looked cleaner. Thanks to cornstarch it worked wonders! Thanks to my friend too for this useful tip. If you have the same dilemma try this I'm sure it will work for you as well. As for me cornstarch will be a staple product in my doggie grooming kit.

I used Cream Silk conditioner instead of doggie conditioner for this experiment.

Doctor's pet shampoo and herbal soap has this great scent I love on my dog that helps eliminate doggie odor.

I also use English Pride Natural Oatmeal Shampoo alternately with Doctor's Pet shampoo. This has a soft fragrant smell that is gentle to the dog's coat and skin.


No comments:

Post a Comment